Succeeding in Senior Leadership Module
“Leaders need an intelligent gaze, to be able to look at themselves in the mirror of self-awareness and reflect on who they are as people. If leaders know themselves they are more likely to effectively lead the development of people and organisations. It could be argued that you cannot lead others effectively if you cannot lead yourself.”
—Kenning, 2002, p3
This is an essential module for senior leaders. It addresses two key questions for participants:
- What does effective senior leadership look like?
- How might I further develop as a senior leader?
Purpose of the module
This module will consider the significance of leadership across the school and explore motivations and behaviours that leaders bring to their role, including values and beliefs. Participants will look at how they apply their leadership in the work place to address school improvement priorities. Using research findings, diagnostic tools and examples from practice leaders will increase their understanding of their own leadership so they can build on their strengths and address development areas.
Participants will be taught how to reflect on and assess their own leadership and consider and act on feedback from others. Participants will be able to relate this feedback to research evidence and wider theoretical contexts. Using research evidence and models of practice from different contexts (educational, business, and so on) participants will look at ways to introduce or adapt key findings and approaches in their school.
What leaders will know on successful completion
On completion of this module, participants will have learned:
the principles and practice of leadership in different contexts and professions, particularly in relation to senior leadership
- the characteristics of highly effective leadership and the importance of emotional intelligence
- how you work with others and how others see your practice
- how adults learn and the use of diagnostic tools
- about one’s own leadership – strengths and areas for development
- strategies for effective professional development
- how to create and sustain a positive working culture
What leaders will be able to do on successful completion
On completion of this module, participants will know how to:
- develop and implement your leadership learning plan
- build the resilience and the personal resources needed for effective leadership build confidence and self-assurance based on a grounded understanding of your abilities and strengths
- develop strategies for reflection, self-awareness and a focus on personal improvement improve your own leadership effectiveness and strategies for learning in order to address school priorities more effectively
- model effective leadership, seeking and acting on feedback
Who is it for?
This is an essential module for senior leaders. It is only available to those studying for the National Professional Qualification in Senior Leadership.
What will be covered?
The module covers:
- understanding self
- understanding leadership
- understanding context